Friday 27 June 2014

A Final Farewell


Finishing my A-Levels and the end of my time at school has all been a bit of a blur over the past few days. Exams ended exactly a week ago, and waking up every morning knowing that I don’t have any revision to do is the best feeling ever, but also the weirdest. To stop working after 8/9 months of continuous studying took a bit of time of getting used to, so this week I ended up touring Central London with friends and staying glued to the television. But perhaps what I’d like to share is my experience at both school and sixth form. Since year 9 onwards, I attended an all-girls independent faith school, before that a normal state comprehensive school. I don’t think that I’ve been open about my schooling to anyone, other than the fact that this year was completely horrible.

Disclaimer: Before I proceed, I would like to stress that what I’m writing about is my experience of attending a private school. I know that this is a sensitive area for many, and what I would like to say that I’m not speaking on behalf of private schools or my own school, just my experience with no intention of boasting or anything of the like.

Although the school I attended was private, it wasn’t of the typical sort with a vast prestigious history, high rankings and excellent university entrances. It was certainly no Eton or Westminister. In all honesty, there were some people from privileged backgrounds, very few which would be classified as snobby and very few that you’d consider posh. It wasn’t particularly academic either, or at least it wasn’t known for it. Just scrapping by Ofsted standards my school was average, just.

Years at school were definitely crucial in my development as a person. It bared witness to my period as a shy introvert hesitant to speak to anyone or participate in any discussions in class, but then I started to grow more and more confident. The atmosphere of a state and private school are completely different, particularly for me transitioning from a mixed atmosphere to an all-girls one. It was definitely weird, and took a lot of time of getting used to, but after finally combating this stage, I felt more comfortable. I started to speak more openly and confidently, which eventually landed me the role as Head Girl in year 11. Then came the stresses of GCSE’s in which after results were published, I managed to come on top of the year which was entirely unexpected.   

What made school more enjoyable was the amazing people I met which I have the privilege of calling friends. From watching The Big Bang Theory on some random movie website to playing musical chairs (yes, musical chairs). I shouldn't forget our rendition of Gangnam Style, it just made it ever so more painfully obvious that dancing really isn't our forte. We also attempted to do the Harlem Shake- once again ending in catastrophic disaster. The end product was viewing myself replicating a '60s retro disco move. Not nice at all but absolutely hilarious. We also ended up on YouTube for a brief moment for some competition we decided to enter, again ‘dancing’ or rather jumping on the same spot again and again which what it turned out to be.

After all the positives do come some downsides which I have spoken about far too much on this blog. At the beginning of the year, I really wanted my final year to go well, but that didn’t happen clearly. And it also just so happens that I started blogging when things were starting to go pretty badly. However, I'm actually alive? I’ve finished my A-Levels which has been one heck of a ride.

It’s definitely been a mixed five years. I’ve become much more open-minded and wide eyed. My passions for issues like politics, feminism, history and religion grew considerably. Full of highs and lows, my years at school have definitely shaped me as a person, and the most amazing leavers dinner last night really concluded these five years for me. It’s fairly obvious that I’ll miss everyone a bit too much (even those annoying teachers which expect you to remember things from year 7?!). I'm even going to miss ridiculous things like waking up at 5 am and running onto a crammed train during rush hour. It’s just so strange to think that everyone will go their separate ways living in different parts of the country for the next few years. For now, and probably for the years to come, we’ll all be known as Class of 2014!


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always read comments and I'll get back to them all soon enough, so thank you! x